Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

crazy2
WB Admin

United Kingdom
1127 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2017 :  16:58:31  Show Profile
Hi everyone

Here are the brief results from the “Springspeed Nationals” at Shakey this Bank Holiday Weekend, 29th April – 1st May, with a full writeup and results to follow as soon as we can!

The Wild Bunch had a total of 5 teams competing at the event. The weather was fine Saturday, but there was some downtime and we completed 3 rounds of qualifying. We completed another 3 rounds on Sunday where the weather was mostly good, though there was some more downtime. Monday started wet, and though the track crew nearly had the track dry mid-morning there was some light rain, and then when they had it nearly dry around noon, there was a heavy downpour with hail! They persevered and started again, and through their hard work, amazingly the track opened at 3:45pm! We got our first round in about 4:30pm, but with some more downtime and the curfew already pushed to complete the first rounds for nearly every class, they announced there would be no second rounds. Sadly there was a bad crash at the end of the day, but fortunately the driver was okay. Well done and thanks to all the track crew, safety crew and marshals and officials for all they did!

As we had the one round, we were able to declare a result:

Here are the Top 4:

1st Place: Tom Hawkins in “Time Traveller I” – well done on back to back wins Tom!
2nd Place: Phil James in “Rampage” – first Top 4 placing of the season
3rd Place: Bob Hawkins in “Time Traveller II” – a mammoth effort to get this far!
4th Place: Alan Loten in “Paranoia” – first event of the season and straight into the Top 4

Here are the Spot Prizes that were awarded:-

#1 Qualifier: Tom Hawkins in “Time Traveller I” .003 off!
Best Reaction (in eliminations): Tom Hawkins in “Time Traveller I” .078
Closest to Dial-in (in eliminations): Tom Hawkins in “Time Traveller I” .071 off
Quickest E.T. of the event: Bob Hawkins in “Time Traveller II” 6.994!! First 6 with the Big Block!
Best Appearing Team: Bob Hawkins in “Time Traveller II” - huge efforts to keep running!

The full line-up was:

Terry Clifford in “Ratcatcher Resurrection” - bounced back from Easter brake problems; good qualifying performance and fixing niggles
Phil James in “Rampage” – mid 9-second passes and a good solid pass in eliminations for his first racing round win of the season
Alan Loten in “Paranoia” – a welcome return to him and Steve, straight into the Top 4, testing some new modifications with some improvement and a lead on how to evict some gremlins
Tom Hawkins in “Time Traveller I” – excellent performance throughout, very consistent and a fantastic Bye run in eliminations to take his second win of the season! Fair play, Tom!
Bob Hawkins in Time Traveller II – made two 180-mile round trips home Saturday and Sunday to collect parts and repair damage – awesome 6.994/187 was a fantastic 60th birthday present on Sunday!! Well done Bob! And Congratulations! Also a great drive in the first round saving the car after suffering steering, fuel tank and gearbox damage! Best of luck with the repairs, Bob!

There was one PB this weekend!

Tom Hawkins in “Time Traveller I” 7.553

Highlights of the weekend included: the 5 great teams, and a round of racing completed against the odds!

With the poor weather Monday, it could have been a better event, but the qualifying and racing that did take place were really good! All the teams would like to say a huge thanks to the marshals and officials and track crew and staff for all their hard work and trying hard to keep the racing going in tough conditions, and for not giving up on trying to get some racing in on the Monday. Glad their efforts were rewarded with a round of racing. Thanks very much also to Mark Coulsell for his hard work pit running throughout, and keeping us well informed. A star!!

Well done to all the teams, who put on another good show this weekend! Huge thanks again to all at Shakey for all their hard work and getting as much racing in as possible. Much appreciated!! We’re looking forward to the first Wild Bunch Series round in 2 weeks’ time at our “Spring Shootout”, the start of the 22nd running of the Series!

Full report posted as soon as we can!

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Wild Bunch Forum Archive © The Wild Bunch Nostalgia Drag Racing Club Go To Top Of Page